Wednesday, February 08, 2006



I remember:

Seeing Santa Claus in blue Bata chappals

An earthquake

A thermometer breaking & the mercury rolling up into little metal balls

Trying to fill the pockets of my green dress with water

A bee stinging my mother’s arm

Walking around the house on tip toes as if I were in heels

Looking for my dog Snowy

Copying UrmilaParmila drink their tea

A fat neighbour

Watching the coconut oil melt in a mug of hot water

Sitting on the pot, waiting for my mum to wash my bum

Malai-cheeni on toast

Somersaults in the grass

Thinking my car-seat steering wheel, actually controlled the car

Playing house-house and doctor-doctor

Being petrified during holi

Watching my mum wax

Running around naked on hot summer days

Sitting on newspaper and eating litchis dripping with juice

I remember having the best childhood ever



10 comments:

Queenmatrai said...

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside too and honestly it shows...

Lets play house-house and wine-wine soon

-Noojes is happy

± said...

Thank you.
After a long day, nothing feels better than a long smile.
I smiled throughout :-)

You capture the simple and make it beautiful.

I wish I could write like you...

Spazsim Chasm said...

I remember sittin on the pot screaming for my father to wash my bum too... Those were the days...
I think i might write an I remember post also... you have inspired me ;))

byker7 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
byker7 said...

i remember it all so clearly. being blissfully happy. smiling all the time. not a worry in the world.

i should remember it clearly, since i've only been in advertising snice 2000.

nice cheerful post :)gal

:) said...

thank you all.

Ajeya said...

beautiful post. i remember watching the awesome mumbai monsoon from the window at my grandparents' place and the smell of the first rain. thx :)

sapphiretowergirl said...

ahhh. thank you for that evocative list. of all the memories it stirred, i was especially fond of the mercury-balls-scattering-and-contracting one! hmmm... i might have to go out and buy a thermometer today to recreate that childhood marvel :)

peaceful day of light,
s
p.s. it's snowing here in denver

Anonymous said...

I used to finish my chichi and then stand just within the door and scream- 'FINISHED!!!!!' till
my mom came to wash my bum.
Then one day, my elder sister came and slapped me in the middle of my 'FINISHED!!!!' and I've been washing my own bum ever since.
The first time, I was crying.

:) said...

i used to shout "chichi khataam"